Babies are so adorable and in the first 1-2 months, they are very sensitive. They love to sleep in a cozy small space. So, parents provide them the best comfort using a small place like bassinet or co-sleeper. But, by the moving time they grow up as well also need to change the sleeping bed. At the time parents should learn about the process of transition from bassinet to crib.
When to transition from bassinet to crib?
There is no hard rule to transition baby from bassinet to crib. So, it is a personal choice of each parent as to when they want to shift the baby to her crib. The AAP recommends rooming share at least the first six months as it helps to reduce the risk of SIDS (source).
Baby bassinet weight limits are usually 15-20 pounds. But some bassinets can also hold the heavier baby. So, when you lay down in bassinet after the first months of newborn, look for the weight limit of the sleeping seat. Thus weight limit of the bassinet is a factor in transitioning your baby from bassinet to crib.
Some baby outgrows fast the bassinet or co-sleeper. In this case, parents should not late to shift the baby’s sleeping place. On the other hand, when baby stat to sit up or rollover, the bassinet is a really risky place to her as they are shallower sider than a baby crib. You can check our article on the best cribs buying guide.
So it can be said that the baby who is starting to be mobile is good candidates for the crib and she is ready to start transitioning from the bassinet to the crib.
How to Transition from Bassinet to Crib:
You cannot move baby to crib swiftly. Also, you need to know the transitional process to the crib, so that the baby feels the same comfort in her crib as in the old sleeping place. Follow the bellow tips on transitioning from bassinet to crib.
1. Place crib in parent’s room: For the first few days keep the crib in your room. And let baby sleep there for a couple of days. As a result, the baby will be used to sleep in the large crib’s space and also feel happy as she is in their lovely room. When she is perfect in the crib just place this in the nursery.
2. Keep baby swaddled: Baby love swaddled as they provide a warm and safe feeling like in their mother’s womb. So, when you lay down in crib don’t forget to swaddle them as the crib is a really big space for the little baby. Just keep in mind to wrap her properly. In this way baby will not feel insecure in the crib, thus the transitioning process will be easy.
3. Pass time at the nursery: You cannot expect from your little one as she will love a new environment at a day. Pass time in nursery at day time. Playing with some toys, feeding, and bonding in the nursery will help to make a good feeling at the crib. Also, for a few days let her nap in the nursery at day time. When she accepted the change complete the transitional process.
5. Bedtime routine: In the transitioning process you can make some bedtime routine like giving your baby a bath, doing one last daytime feeding, reading them some bedtime stories, and giving them good night kisses before swaddling them up. This can help them to learn good sleep habits in the crib.
6. Tummy time at crib: Let baby pass her tummy time at the crib for a while. This practice will make her familiar to the crib (and by the time you make take a cup of hot coffee 🙂 ).
7. Make crib comfortable: Create a comfortable environment in the crib for her. Pillow, blanket, and some toys with a white sound machine can be included in the crib.
At last, transitioning to a baby crib is not so hard work, but you need to follow some proper guidelines that can reduce more work and safe time at a time. Also, if you are really worried about to keep her in another place you can place a baby monitor to give you peace of mind.